|First||Previous (AGRICULTURE (AN FORAS TALUNTAIS) ACT, 1958)|
AGRICULTURE (AN FORAS TALUNTAIS) ACT, 1958
Provisions Relating to the Council.
Term of Office.
1. The term of office of an ordinary member of the Council shall be three years.
Eligibility of outgoing members.
2. A member of the Council whose term of office expires by effluxion of time shall be eligible for re-appointment.
3. An ordinary member of the Council may resign his office as member of the Council by letter sent by post to the Council, and the resignation shall take effect as on and from the date which is one month after the date of the receipt of the letter, if the resignation is not previously withdrawn in writing.
4. The Government may at any time, on the advice of the Council, remove an ordinary member of the Council from office.
5. (1) A casual vacancy occurring among the ordinary members of the Council shall be filled by appointment by the Government and, where the vacancy occurs among the members nominated under subsection (8) or subsection (9) of section 5 of this Act, the appointment shall be of a person nominated by the organisation or body which nominated the member occasioning the vacancy.
(2) A person appointed under this paragraph shall hold office for the remainder of his predecessor's term.
6. (1) The Council shall hold at least three meetings in every year which commences after the commencement of this Act.
(2) The Council shall hold special meetings at any time at the request of the chairman or five ordinary members of the Council.
7. (1) The quorum for a meeting of the Council shall be five.
(2) At a meeting of the Council—
(a) the chairman shall, if present, be chairman of the meeting,
(b) if and so long as the chairman is not present or if the office of chairman is vacant, the members of the Council who are present shall choose one of their number to be chairman of the meeting.
(3) Every question at a meeting of the Council shall be determined by a majority of the votes of the members present and voting on the question, and in the case of an equal division of votes, the chairman of the meeting shall have a second or casting vote.
(4) The Council may act notwithstanding one or more vacancies among its members.
(5) Subject to the provisions of this Act, the Council shall regulate, by standing orders or otherwise, the procedure and business of the Council and of the committees appointed under section 8 of this Act.